Tuesday, August 4, 2015

And They're Off - Thursday, July 16th

I gave up trying to post while in China!  Sorry, World!  It was just too much for my computer, VPN, and tired body to manage.  If you are a Facebook Friend, you might have followed along on the special group page our team set up for friends and family.

Now that I'm home and slightly recovered for jet lag, I plan to recap our trip by posting highlights from each day.  Then my passionate side will take over and I hope to pour out all the stories of these amazing children!

July 16th - The day I could hardly wait for and equally dreaded!



I made a pact with God on our return flight home from our first adoption in 2009.  I informed Him that I was NEVER EVER getting back on an airplane to fly to China!!!!  However, I was wise enough to add the disclaimer, "Unless it is Your will."

UGH!

A second adoption trip and now two mission trips later, with another mission trip planned to return in November and even one for the summer of 2016...His will overrides my fear of flying for hours in a sardine can!  My oldest daughter Miranda will tell you truthfully that these flights just about kill me every time.  I can't stand sitting still for that long and struggle to sleep on airplanes.



Our team met together for the first time in the Chicago O'Hare Airport.  Uhm...I think this airport my qualify as my vacation home from all the time I've spent waiting for flights over the years?



Our team consisted of six tween/teenage girls and five adults, if you count my 19-year-old daughter as an adult.  She quickly discovered that she fell into that abyss of not quite a teen and not quite an adult.  Bummer.  At the orphanage, she will always be my daughter, which equals never an adult.  But she is beyond middle school and high school drama which made it difficult to fit in with 12 to 16 year old girls.  However, with her heart to serve and love on the children, age doesn't matter.



As our team gathered to wait for our flight, we exchanged some bracelets.  One of the girls had created a cross bracelet for everyone.  We had brought along enough "Pray for China" bracelets for everyone too.




Snacking on Subway sandwiches or playing card games (which became a little violent and caused injuries before we had even taken off) filled our time until we step on board that 747 to take us all half way around the world, and closer to the children we longed to love.









No comments:

Post a Comment